Saturday, January 7, 2012

Pan-Fried, Oven-Roasted Grouper + Asparagus

Pan-Fried, Oven-Roasted Grouper + Asparagus

I used to be slightly obsessed with the Food Network so I had to ween myself from it but I still watch it from time-to-time. I'm glad I watched it this morning because I saw how to pan-fry fish and then finish it off in the oven. The crust was crunchy and didn't get soggy at all. Now that's what I'm talkin' about! I am not a great fish cooker, but I must say, I did a daaaaaaaaang good job today!

I also cooked asparagus and some french bread to go with it.

Tip: Store asparagus in the fridge like this and it will last for days!

Ingredients:
Grouper or any kind of fish you like to eat
S&P (salt and pepper)
Olive Oil for the pan
Asparagus
Garlic cloves, or garlic powder, or garlic salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. That's right, 250. Get a skillet (not non-stick, I used a cast-iron pan) hot and add 1-2Tbsp olive oil to it and get it screaming hot. (When the oil starts to smoke, this is the time to add your fish.)
Salt and pepper both sides of the fish.
Cut your fish in the sizes you want them. I just made mine into large filets. Once your pan is hot, add the fish to it but once the fish is in there, you can't move it so make sure it's in a good spot. Don't try to flip it too soon. If you do, it'll tear up and it won't do what you want it to do. I put my fish in a cast-iron skillet on medium heat and cooked it on one side about 7-9 minutes until it released from the pan.



Next, get a cooling rack and put that on top of a cookie sheet. Both have to go in the oven so make sure it's oven-safe.


Once your fish releases from the pan, flip the cooked side up on the cooling rack and place it in the oven for 13-15 minutes until it's cooked all the way through. Make sure you only cook it on one side while it's on the stove. Once it's cooked in the oven, go ahead and eat it!

I also made asparagus on the stove. I heated up 1-2Tbsp olive oil and about 1/3 cup of water on the stove and added my asparagus. I used salt and pepper and garlice powder and covered about 10 minutes or until desired texture happens.

I forgot to make my final picture because I was so hungry. Here's the finished product in it's glory! :)


Eat and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment