Monday, February 27, 2012

Paleo Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins

Paleo Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins

I am a genius! Ok, my I.Q. score isn't as high as a genius, but in my mind, I am! I love experimenting with new ingredients and I picked up a bag of arrowroot powder from the store the other day since I needed it for a coffee cake recipe. I used that base "cake" recipe and made a whole new dish that made my goofy 8-year-old fall on the floor from pure joy. He said, "My whole body is having a party from this muffin!" So, kid-tested, mother approved!


In this recipe, I used the "cake" portion from this paleo coffee cake recipe. If you like coffee cake, go try that out but if you want a healthy muffin, give this one a shot. Super easy and guilt free!

Ingredients:
1/2cup unsweetened coconut milk in the can
2 eggs
1/4cup raw local honey
1tsp vanilla
2cups almond flour
1/2cup arrowroot powder
1/2tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt
1/3cup dark chocolate chips
1/4cup sweetened or unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
1/2cup chopped pecans (1/4 goes inside the batter and 1/4 goes on top of the muffins)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a muffin tin. I have a cute "dessert pan" shaped in a square and wanted to use that. Use what you have!

Half has coconut/pecans and other half doesn't.. Picky children!

Mix dry ingredients together then add the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Measure out equal scoops in your dessert pan, sprinkle with 1/4cup of the chopped pecans and bake 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.



Eat and enjoy!

Tip:
These can be frozen and eaten at a later time. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place cooled muffins on pan. Freeze for 1 hour and then move to a freezer bag and freeze. When you're ready to eat these, you can microwave it, bake it at 350 for 5 minutes or just leave it out at room temperature.

4 comments:

  1. You should make these!!!!
    I tried one at Angela's house & then came home and made a batch. They are the perfect cupcake base recipe when they are plain. I imagine if you put icing on top, they'd be great for a birthday party. Or even pipe them full of something yummy. Jam would work as well as coconut cream mixed with some chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these and they were delicious! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it. I make these and freeze some and nuke them for a few minutes when I want another one. SOOOOooo addicting!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete