Monday, November 21, 2011

Easy Homemade Gravy

Easy Homemade Gravy

I never knew how easy it was to make gravy until a few weeks ago. I've tried and tried and tried but always have to strain it because it had lumps. It tasted good and had great flavor, but it was lumpy. Guess what my secret is to a lump-free gravy? Warm Liquid!!!! Man, I tell you.. when I discovered this (really on accident I suppose), it changed my life. I made gravy three times the past two days and it's been spot on every time. WOO HOO!



Ingredients:
3Tbsp butter (not that fake butter.. I'm talking about butter in stick form)
3Tbsp white flour
1tsp corn starch
1 3/4 - 2 cups WARM liquid (water, chicken broth, beef broth, veggie broth) 

Directions:
Melt your butter over medium heat. Believe me, turning it up on high isn't going to do anything but burn your butter and waste your time. This is a patient gravy, so be patient and wait. It'll happen, I promise. (I watch pots all the time and guess what? They boil!)
After your butter is melted, add the flour and corn starch. The flour and corn starch are thickeners but please measure this or you'll have too much in there or not enough and you'll wonder why you messed it up. MEASURE, PEOPLE!


Stir this around with a wooden spoon. Make sure your heat is on low to medium-low. It needs to bubble up. If you want a light gravy, you can add your warm broth in now but if you want a brown gravy, you need to stir with a wooden spoon every 20 seconds or so for 5-7 minutes. It'll get brown on the underside of the flour/butter mixture and looks light on top first so this is why you have to stir it.. keep your eye on it, browned and burned are two different things!



Once you have your gravy the color you want it, put your wooden spoon away and get your warm liquid out and a whisk. Add 1/2 cup, roughly, at a time while whisking quickly. The cornstarch will make your gravy pretty fluffy and bubbly. Don't worry, it's just a cool reaction. Science project!
Keep whisking and adding your warm liquid and once all of your liquid is whisked in, you can use a spoon to stir and make sure all of the lumps are out.
If you still have lumps, just strain it.. It's going to taste good either way.



Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment