Thursday, February 16, 2012

Slow Cooker Flank Steak

Slow Cooker Flank Steak
Printable Recipe



I've never tried flank steak but darn that Rachael Ray for cooking it the other day on her show. Her and Bobby Flay seem to use it a lot so I figured I'd give it a go. It's a tougher protein so low and slow is the way I'm approaching it today. When I make new dishes, I try to find a recipe online with a lot of positive reviews and tweak it to what my family would like and that's what I did today. It was so moist and juicy and fell apart like a roast does when it's cooked just right. I had my sister and her kids over for dinner and it was a hit!

Ingredients:
1.5 pounds flank steak, a.k.a. London Broil
2Tbsp cooking oil of choice, I used olive oil but you can use coconut oil too
1 large onion, I used yellow
1.25tsp chili powder
1tsp garlic powder
1/2tsp salt
1/4tsp pepper
1/3cup water
2Tbsp white vinegar
Handful mushrooms of choice, I had buttons on hand
The recipe here shows adding sugar and peppers.. Two things I didn't do. I chose not to add sugar and didn't have peppers on hand.


Directions:
Remove silver skin and excess fat from the meat. In a skillet set to medium-high heat, heat oil to almost smoking. Make sure the pan and oil are nice and hot and brown both sides of the meat. I cut mine in half and browned separately since my pan was too small. I placed it into my slow cooker so that it would have all the juices instead of adding to another pan or plate. Think ahead, think smart!
Once it's browned one both sides, move it to the slow cookers and add the sliced onion to the pan. Add more oil if needed. Directions said to cook about 1 minute but I cooked it 3-4 minutes while I was gathering my spices. Add the water, vinegar and spices and bring to boil then cover the flank steak with this mixture. At this point, I added the mushrooms.



You'll cover without removing the lid on your slow cooker. Trust me, don't peek inside! It needs the moisture especially with a tough cut of protein like flank steak.



The instructions given in the link says to cook 7 hours but all the reviews say 4 hours and it comes out perfect so I set mine to 4 hours, which is a high setting on my cooker and it did come out perfect!


Get up and make something healthy to eat today! This is a great recipe to start with.

Oh, my pound-and-a-half was about $13.00 but it's a lot of meat and will feed me and the two kids several meals. This would be enough for several adults with enough delicious veggies on the side.

2 comments: