Sunday, February 19, 2012

Addicting Paleo Chocolate Mousse

Addicting Paleo Chocolate Mousse



My sister is so awesome!! She makes me sign on to pinterest, look at delicious foods and then she makes whatever it was she had pinned AND THEN BRAGS ABOUT HOW GOOD IT IS! I mean, seriously sister .. stop! Because it makes me want to make it, too.

..and that is exactly what I did today..

..and I'm now cursing you with the urge to make this paleo dessert! HA! Sucks to be you ;) Kidding.

*A word of caution: Coconut milk is a wonderful fat that should be used as often as possible, but be careful not to over-indulge as too much fat could cause an upset tummy! I think more than 1/2 cup would be too much. This is so rich that you may not even want to eat that much.

Ingredients:
1 can coconut milk, full-fat, unsweetened
1/4cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2tsp vanilla
sweetener to taste, I used a little bit of honey. My sister used maple syrup.



Directions:
Refrigerate a can of coconut milk overnight, or at least 6 hours. Don’t shake the can before opening. It should get very, very thick. If it doesn’t, you’ve gotten a bad can that won’t work for the recipe. I used Thai Kitchen Organic. Once thick, transfer to a bowl. You can opt to leave out the watery bit at the bottom of the can, if you want it even thicker and whip in your cocoa, vanilla, and sweetener with a fork, or even beaters if you want to be fancy. Stored uncovered in the fridge, the mixture gets even thicker.


(I edited the authors directions a bit. Find the original recipe here and tell her thank you while you're on her page!)



Serve cold, and Enjoy!

27 comments:

  1. how much did this make once it was whipped?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hello there.
      This recipe makes about 1 1/2 cups. If you don't use the coconut water, it will make less but I had no problem getting it thick using the water.

      Delete
  2. I made a trifle with this recipe tonight. Layered with bluberries and strawberries and sprinkled with shredded coconut. So quick and easy and so yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, Regina. That sounds great! I am so glad you tried it. I made another version with melted dark chocolate instead of cocoa powder/sweetener and I think that's even better than this version.

      Thanks for stopping by!
      Angela

      Delete
  3. What about adding in some Enjoy Life mini chocolate morsels? That sounds good. Approximately how much honey did you add? New to Paleo, but love the way I'm feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry,

      Add whatever flavors and textures you like. It will be tasty with those chocolate chips.
      As far as the honey goes, I think I added 1-2tsp. Can't remember now.

      I like to melt chocolate, add it to the coconut cream, refrigerate and then whip it. It's sooo much better than this recipe.

      Thanks!
      Angela

      Delete
    2. Hi Angela!

      How much melted chocolate would you use instead of cocoa powder?

      Thanks!

      Casey

      Delete
    3. Hello,

      I would use a handful which is between 1/8th and 1/4 cup. Melt it in the microwave in 20 second intervals then stir into the coconut cream and refrigerate until it hardens or eat immediately.

      Angela

      Delete
  4. I made this today and it didin't have the rich chocolatey flavor I was expecting. It's like the cocoa powder didn't meld into the coconut cream, so it tastes a little dry, if that makes sense. The only change was not adding vanilla because I ran out. Do you think that would make a big difference? I've got it in the fridge now hoping the flavors come together a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim,

      I would replace some of the liquid missing from not using the vanilla with the reserved coconut water. If you still find that it's lacking some 'uumph', add almond milk or more honey/maple syrup.

      You can then whip it up with your fork and enjoy. Hope that helps.

      Angela

      Delete
  5. I love you. This recipe makes me happy as I've given up so many things I love to eat. Thank you :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DenilleEO,

      That's hilarious!! I'm so glad you tried it and liked it. Yay!!

      Angela

      Delete
  6. I like to make coconut milk from scratch using Tropical Traditions shredded coconut. Is there a way I can use this fresh coconut milk in this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aimee,

      If you can get the cream to rise to the top then this recipe will most certainly work for you. Good luck and let me know if you've tried it!

      Angela

      Delete
  7. I have just made this chocolate mousse and it's simply super delicious. I added a few sliced almonds for decoration!
    It was super easy to make and loved the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You all must know something I don’t! I used the dark chocolate idea but when I put it in the mix, it just hardened and turned to little pieces. I had to strain all that out to salvage it.

    ReplyDelete