Sunday, June 17, 2012

Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies

Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
I was craving something sweet without it being unhealthy for me so I was google-ing my hands off trying to find a good cookie recipe. There are a ton of paleo cookies out there, but the pictures don't even look appetizing, so I click some more only to find crumbly looking pieces of "food" until I found one at Elana's Pantry. I do admit, hers still didn't look like a typical cookie, but when you remove wheat flour and add almond flour, it tends to be a different look and texture altogether.
I made two batches and found that if you pulse your almond meal (Because I buy Bob's Red Mill "meal/flour"), it becomes more fine in texture and it's less crumbly. If you don't have anywhere local to buy fine almond flour, just pulse it in the food processor or blender and you'll be set to have a good 'wanna-be' cookie.
My second batch, by far, was the best paleo cookie I've ever attempted and although I tweaked Elana's recipe to what I have on hand, it was paleo and pretty good and I didn't feel like a fatty for eating 5 at a time.

These have a tendency of melting in your mouth, so enjoy with a cup of coffee and a loved one and dive into a healthier version of chocolate chip cookies!
Ingredients:
Serves 10-15 teaspoonful cookies
2cups almond flour, finely ground if you have almond meal
1/4tsp sea salt
1/2tsp baking soda
1/4cup coconut oil, do not melt it. Keep it in its hardened stage.
1Tbsp honey or pure maple syrup
1tsp vanilla extract
1 handful of chocolate chip mini's or dark chocolate chips


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
If you have almond meal, pulse it to make the texture more fine and then add everything else into the food processor combine thoroughly; adding the chocolate chips by hand. On a parchment-lined cookie sheet, add 1teaspoon-full sized cookie balls and lightly press down. Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes and cool on the cookie sheet at least 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack or else the cookies will fall apart and crumble. These won't last too long, but if they do, store in an airtight container up to 3 days.
If you want to bake these another day, make your individual portions and place on a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet (covered with tin foil or plastic wrap) and refrigerate up to 2 days or freeze, uncovered for 1 hour then transfer to an airtight freezer bag. When ready to bake, remove from refrigerator for 15 minutes then bake as suggested above. When ready to bake, remove from freezer and wait 1 hour to thaw and bake as suggested above.
These are so great because you can freely share these with your friends and family and not have one ounce of guilt!


Serve and enjoy! 

15 comments:

  1. Oh yum, I'm so glad I saw this recipe and that I found your blog. My name is Mandy and I found your site looking for Paleo things in Pensacola. I too live in Pensacola and my husband and I just started this Paleo lifestyle about six weeks ago when his health just hit rock bottom. This was all just after I had my second baby girl and the craziness was admist. But here we are nearly two months later and we both feel better. I'm losing weight and he's gaining some which is what we both want. I'd love to talk more Paleo with you and maybe even meet up with you some day in the near future to swap recipes. You can check out my personal blog - www.mandylifeafter30.com and also, I'm ashamed to say, my OLD cooking blog which now goes against all things paleo at www.learn-laugh-cook.blogspot.com. You can also email me directly at littlebit.mandy@gmail.com. I hope to hear back from you. I'm looking to network with others in the area who are living this kind of lifestyle and making it work for them!

    Best wishes!
    Mandy Fernandez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy!

      I'm so glad you dropped by. You don't have to be 'ashamed' of your non-paleo blog! Just because you're eating differently now doesn't mean you can't still treat yourself to an indulgence every now and then. That's why I post paleo and non paleo items.

      I'm glad to hear you and your husband are doing well from the paleo lifestyle. It's amazing how eating differently can change all aspects of one's life. Congrats to you both!

      Comment on the blog or email me anytime. My email is aydenandru@gmail.com

      Hope to hear from you soon.

      All the best,
      Angela

      Delete
  2. I made these today and I have to admit I was quite surprised at how good they were. I have had about 25/75 luck with paleo baking so far. A few things I love and make over and over, but a lot of things I have not been pleased with.

    A few things...they have delicious flavor, but the texture was dry and crumbly. I am wondering if you think adding an egg might help with that? Now, saying that, yes they absolutely melt in your mouth, but to me they have more of a shortbread cookie kind of texture than a chocolate chip cookie. My only other problem, and it is a very minor one, was that my cookies didn't really brown and look like this great picture. Any ideas? I let them cook about 11 or 12 minutes because I wasn't sure if they were done or not since they had not browned at all.

    Great recipe! I'm sure I will make these again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Chere.

      These are pretty tasty but I agree, they are quite crumbly and dry. I think next time I make these, I'll use ghee (cold) instead of coconut oil and see how that goes. I think the coconut oil has a lot to do with the crumbling problem.

      Mine browned a little, but they weren't like how a normal cookie would brown up. You could try a few more minutes in the oven or lower the temp to 325 and bake for 15-20 minutes. Almond flour/meal is tricky to cook with so be careful with it. It will burn if you're not watching it.

      Thanks for the review!
      Angela

      Delete
  3. I Loved them and so did my kids! My husband is a type 1 diabetic and these didn't spike his sugar. I used the almond meal and it kind of had a almond rocca taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      So glad ya'll enjoyed these and happy to hear his blood sugar didn't spike. That's such wonderful news!

      Delete
  4. Added an egg after reading and they came out perfectly moist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christie,

      That's a great idea. Hello, why didn't I think of that?!! :)

      Angela

      Delete
  5. Made these today. I added an egg like the above comment said and they turned out perfectly! This one's definitely a keeper. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made these tonight. Turned out great. I did add an egg and my coconut was liquid when I added it thanks to the Vegas heat. Satisfied sweet tooth. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am new to Vegas. Also new to Paleo baking. I made a cake for my hubby's b-day and it's consistency was that of a brownie but it seemed to be a big hit.

      Delete
  7. I made these cookies. I took Christie's advice and added an egg. I also substituted the coconut oil for Ghee. They were quite tasty

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s a classic great for me to go to this blog site, it offers helpful suggestionshttp://www.gourmet-paleo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I have got the best information from here the site is fully stuffed with the knowledgeable information. garciniacambogiafreetrial101.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. 3 Studies REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by eating coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete