Saturday, December 17, 2011

Warm Beef Stew

Warm Beef Stew

Today was a great day for a pot of stew. It was pretty chilly outside this morning so I decided to make something I've never made before! I was really excited to taste it because it was the best scent I've smelled in such a long time. This stew is delicious! I went to The Pioneer Woman's website and found her recipe here for it. Although I changed a tiny step, this was very tasty. I'm glad I made it!



Ingredients:
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Butter
2 pounds Stew Meat
1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
3 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 can Beer, 12 Ounce Can (*I did not use beer)
4 cups Beef Stock (or 4 Cups Water + 4 Beef Bouillon Cubes)
2 cups Water (additional, If Needed)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1-1/2 tsp Sugar
4 Whole Carrots, Washed, Peeled, And Roughly Sliced
4 Whole New Potatoes, Quartered (*I used two white potatoes)
Minced Parsley (optional)


Directions:
(I followed her directions except I did not use beer. I used white potatoes instead and I used rump roast from dinner the night before)
Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown meat in two batches, setting aside on a plate when brown. Cut pieces in half. Set aside.
Add diced onions to the pot. Stir and cook for two or three minutes until softened, then add garlic for another minute. Pour in beer and beef stock, then add Worcestershire, tomato paste, paprika, salt, pepper, and sugar. Add beef back into the pot. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
The liquid should cook down to a thicker state. If it gets too thick/reduces too much, add additional water as needed.
Add carrots and potatoes, then cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes. (If stew gets dry, just add a cup of hot water at a time to replenish the liquid.) Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment