Monday, February 27, 2012

Paleo Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins

Paleo Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins

I am a genius! Ok, my I.Q. score isn't as high as a genius, but in my mind, I am! I love experimenting with new ingredients and I picked up a bag of arrowroot powder from the store the other day since I needed it for a coffee cake recipe. I used that base "cake" recipe and made a whole new dish that made my goofy 8-year-old fall on the floor from pure joy. He said, "My whole body is having a party from this muffin!" So, kid-tested, mother approved!


In this recipe, I used the "cake" portion from this paleo coffee cake recipe. If you like coffee cake, go try that out but if you want a healthy muffin, give this one a shot. Super easy and guilt free!

Ingredients:
1/2cup unsweetened coconut milk in the can
2 eggs
1/4cup raw local honey
1tsp vanilla
2cups almond flour
1/2cup arrowroot powder
1/2tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt
1/3cup dark chocolate chips
1/4cup sweetened or unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
1/2cup chopped pecans (1/4 goes inside the batter and 1/4 goes on top of the muffins)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a muffin tin. I have a cute "dessert pan" shaped in a square and wanted to use that. Use what you have!

Half has coconut/pecans and other half doesn't.. Picky children!

Mix dry ingredients together then add the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Measure out equal scoops in your dessert pan, sprinkle with 1/4cup of the chopped pecans and bake 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.



Eat and enjoy!

Tip:
These can be frozen and eaten at a later time. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place cooled muffins on pan. Freeze for 1 hour and then move to a freezer bag and freeze. When you're ready to eat these, you can microwave it, bake it at 350 for 5 minutes or just leave it out at room temperature.

5 comments:

  1. You should make these!!!!
    I tried one at Angela's house & then came home and made a batch. They are the perfect cupcake base recipe when they are plain. I imagine if you put icing on top, they'd be great for a birthday party. Or even pipe them full of something yummy. Jam would work as well as coconut cream mixed with some chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these and they were delicious! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it. I make these and freeze some and nuke them for a few minutes when I want another one. SOOOOooo addicting!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally get rid of fat by eating Coconut Fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete