Friday, February 10, 2012

Spaghetti Squash

Spaghetti Squash

Spaghetti squash is so much fun to eat. I put a ton on my fork when no one is looking and shove in as much as I can while half of it dangles then I slurp it all up. I'm totally weird but it's fun! It reminds me of yakisoba noodles and I love yakisoba so I think that's why I really like this a lot. It's so easy to make and just very versitle since it has a mild flavor. It's hearty and has an al-dente texture to it. I bet if you replaced it for angel hair pasta, not too many people would notice.


First you'll need a spaghetti squash so either grow on or buy it. Get a good, strong knife out and cut it the way I did here.

Next you'll need to scoop out the seeds. Come on CrossFitter's and put your back into it!



I saved half of my seeds.. I'm hoping it'll grow when I can plant them. If it doesn't work, oh well, at least I tried!

Turn your oven on to 400 degrees and place the squash flesh-side down on a baking sheet. I put a little olive oil on mine so it didn't stick. When it's face down, add a little bit of water around it, about 1/4 cup and bake for 30-40 minutes.



Don't mind the butternut squash .. I'll post that recipe later. The spaghetti squash is the yellow ball looking thing.

So, you're baking the squash at this point. Let it cool down a bit before you try to flip it over. The skin is hot! Once you're comfortable enough to start messing with it, flip it over and start "forking" it.


See, it looks like spaghetti noodles! So, you'll start scraping the squash from the sides to get it to look like a spaghetti texture and once the sides have been scraped, start going towards the middle and bottom of the squash. One spaghetti squash made a huge bowl for me to use and I've enjoyed eating every bite of it!

See how simple that was? Eat smarter, your body doesn't want to work harder than it has to.



Eat and Enjoy!
..get creative with your dishes!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I have 2 spaghetti squash from my CSA, how many "servings" does each squash make, roughly. Wondering if I should cook both or just one for four people. My first time ever cooking or eating one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm just now getting to your question. I usually get large squash's and that easily feeds 4. Let me know what you ended up doing and if you liked it.
      Angela

      Delete